Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Illegal Alien or Undocumented Immigrant?

I recently sent this reply to Joanne Ostrow of the Denver Post in response to her article aimed at Bill O'Reilly:

Ms. Ostrow, we live in a Republic even though most of the country, when asked, would respond that we live in a Democracy. The difference being that a Republic is governed by the rule of law, while a Democracy is majority rule. Our founders specifically called out the dangers of Democracy and deliberately constructed a Republic.

If we choose to ignore the rule of law the United States would slip into anarchy and cease to be the country we know today. That being said, the term undocumented immigrant has no place and no meaning in our system of government. There are immigrants and there are illegal aliens. These two terms are specific and correct and should not be confused with each other. We continue to need immigrants to infuse our country with diversity and new ideas, while the rule of law must be maintained to protect the essence of who we are and the Republic our founders envisioned.

Illegal aliens are simply that, illegal. If you do not like the laws of this country, there are mechanisms in place to change the law. However, you can not simply ignore the laws that you disagree with and pursue your own set of rules. I don't like to pay taxes and believe that the 16th Amendment should be repealed. That does not mean that until that happens I can simply not pay my taxes - there are dire consequences - just as there should be for illegal aliens.

If you would prefer to live in anarchy, there are plenty of countries to choose from, but I prefer to live in the Republic to which I pledge my allegiance.


## That's my opinion ##


2 comments:

Ordinary Guy said...

Excellent! I hope you get a response... but I doubt it.

Beth said...

I wonder if this journalist dislikes when Rosie O'Donnell rants, too.